Sunday, March 26, 2017

Soundwalk

For my soundwalk project I decided to walk from 59th Columbus circle and walk downtown for an hour. Just from the start I heard cars driving by since it was Columbus circle. In the background, I could hear people doing tricks on skateboards from the circle. As I started walked, the sound of skateboards died down and the sounds of cars was not as loud. I could hear people talking more than the other sounds, especially when it was in a group of people. When I reached 42nd street, the sounds of people and cars seemed as if it was trying to compete with one another. With traffic moving slow, cars were honking their horns when they had to move. Since 42nd being a huge tourist attraction, I could hear so many conversations going on at once. Some were families saying “look at that” or people just hanging out talking about what they are going to do for the night. They only constant noise that I heard was people footsteps. Usually I would just hear heels hitting the concrete floor, but the sound of footsteps was more noticeable when I was simply listening. As I walked further downtown, the sound of people and cars went down. People were less grouped together and less people trying to stop others to sell something. Traffic was less packed, so the noise was not as loud. It was interesting to see the difference in noise when only walking a few blocks. Overall, I would the theme of my soundwalk was competing noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment